A Sweet Intro

This blog is dedicated to our darling boy, born prematurely at 29 weeks and miraculously survived all odds during his 57 days in the ICU. We named him Reagan, which means our "Little King", strong and brave enough to fight any battles. He is also our little king whom we worship with a lifetime of our love and kisses. Baby Reagan continues to amaze us with his awesome strength, big personality, joyful laughter and lovely smiles. This is where we share both our learning journeys and all the fun bonding time together.

Jan 20, 2014

Recognising 26 Letters of the Alphabets (at 19 months)

I think 18 months is like a magical age when we gradually witness many of Reagan's "outputs". It was only yesterday that hubby and I just discovered that Reagan recognised all the 26 alphabet letters at 19 months old. It was by chance that my mom tested him on his alphabets on a book and he managed to pick all the letters correctly. Then one day when I was having a casual chat with my mom, I informed her that after his bedroom/studyroom is ready, I'll start to emphasize on the teaching of alphabet letters. It was then my mom mentioned that she thought I've already taught him because Reagan has proven to her that he can recognise all the alphabets. So we tested him and she was right.  He can't actually say out the letter but he will point to the right letter that you want him to point to.

(Click VIDEO HERE)

We tried on other topic like "colours" and he is able to recognise the name of the colours,  red, yellow, green , blue, purple, orange, black, white and grey and sort items to their respective colours.

Therefore it was certainly a pleasant surprise to all of us. In my personal opinion, I felt that his strong foundation derived from the early right-brain training and flashcards are factors that enables him to grasp concepts faster and easier. Honestly, I haven't really sit him down seriously and revise thoroughly on the topics alphabets and colours. But he did have a few flashcards topics on alphabets and colours which I flash to him almost every other day, some random puzzles related to alphabets and of course the occasional singing of his ABC song. Therefore I believe these early exposures contributes as well.

Reagan did not follow the "traditional" method of language learning, which usually begins with recognising alphabets first, then phonics, follow by reading and spelling. He actually learned to recognise words and phrases first before the alphabets letters, which is also how the Glenn Doman Method works. My next step will be starting him on phonics soon, emphasising on the initial sounds of each alphabet letters and guide him on his writing of the alphabets.

Reagan hasn't been expressing much vocally, although he enjoys babbling and humming to his favourite tunes. I hope before he turns two, he not only master the 26 letters but also able to read out the letters and their phonics sound. Both of us are looking forward to our new learning goal together!




1 comment: