A Sweet Intro

This blog is dedicated to our darling boy, born prematurely at 29 weeks and miraculously survived all odds during his 57 days in the ICU. We named him Reagan, which means our "Little King", strong and brave enough to fight any battles. He is also our little king whom we worship with a lifetime of our love and kisses. Baby Reagan continues to amaze us with his awesome strength, big personality, joyful laughter and lovely smiles. This is where we share both our learning journeys and all the fun bonding time together.

Feb 26, 2014

How Reagan Learns Sounds of Alphabets (Phonics)

Reagan can recognise all the initial sounds of the 26 alphabet letters at near 20 months. I make the letter sound, eg. "ber ber" and he can point to letter "B", "ge ge" and he points to letter "G", and so on. Now he is trying his best to say out the letter sounds vocally. Almost everyday I test him the same questions over and over again, "what does A says? What does B says? and so on..."
So far he can say out the phonics sound pretty clearly for "A,B,C,D,G,I,K,M,O" but the rest he is still babbling through haha, well at least he tries..!
 
How Reagan is exposed to Phonics
 
1)Flashing of the alphabet phonics cards since he was a baby.
2) Listening to the Phonics songs I played to him on Youtube. I sing along with him or prepare cards and flash together with the song for him.
 
3) I sang to him his ABC songs but instead of singing the alphabet letters, I sing the phonics sounds instead.
 
4) I bought a Phonics CD & book titled "Ants On The Apple" and have been going through with him since he was a year old. I let him listen to the CD and point to the letters and sentence on the book.
One of my mummies friends gave me the idea of tearing the pages out, laminate them and flash them as cards. Which is what I did!
 
I'm still looking out for more ideas for Alphabets and Phonics games because so far he is enjoying every single activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment