A Sweet Intro

This blog is dedicated to our darling boy, born prematurely at 29 weeks and miraculously survived all odds during his 57 days in the ICU. We named him Reagan, which means our "Little King", strong and brave enough to fight any battles. He is also our little king whom we worship with a lifetime of our love and kisses. Baby Reagan continues to amaze us with his awesome strength, big personality, joyful laughter and lovely smiles. This is where we share both our learning journeys and all the fun bonding time together.

Feb 15, 2013

Homemade Vegetable Stock recipe for Babies

The below vegetable stock is shared by one of my sweet cousins who has two beautiful kids herself. She usually prepared this healthy stock weekly and use it to add taste to her kids' porridge, pasta or their vegetable puree. The ingredients that I use for baby food are usually organic, bought from either the Market Place Super Market, FourSeasons Organic Market, Cold Storage and NTUC Finest.
Baby's homemade vegetable stock

2 large carrot
2 large onions
2 celery stalks
1 turnip
10 black peppercorns
1 bulb of garlic
pinch thyme
pinch parsley
1 bay leaf

Peel all the vegetable and chop them roughly. Put them into a large cooking pot along with the peppercorns and the herbs. Cover them with water and bring to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat and simmer for an hour. Allow broth to cook and strain the vegetable. The vegetable stock is ready!
I didn't really follow the recipe exactly as I estimated the quantity of the ingredients used. At the same time, I had some leftover organic potato on my kitchen counter and so I threw them inside the pot as well. 
After cooling the stock, I store it in ice-trays and freezes it before transferring into a ziplock bag. So each time I need to use the stock to prepare my baby's food, I just throw in a cube.
So what to do with the used ingredients after we kept the stock? Of course you don't have to throw them away. Well, I blended the left-over ingredients into a thick puree, add water, cream milk and a dash of salt and pepper, and turned it into a bowl of healthy creamy vegetable soup for the adults. 
Ta-dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment