A Sweet Intro

This blog is dedicated to our darling boy, born prematurely at 29 weeks and miraculously survived all odds during his 57 days in the ICU. We named him Reagan, which means our "Little King", strong and brave enough to fight any battles. He is also our little king whom we worship with a lifetime of our love and kisses. Baby Reagan continues to amaze us with his awesome strength, big personality, joyful laughter and lovely smiles. This is where we share both our learning journeys and all the fun bonding time together.

Aug 13, 2013

My 14 months old 's first visit to the library

Baby boy's concentration for books has improved after I started to read him at least one book a day. I always pick two different books first and get him to choose the one he wants me to read to him. And he kinda like the idea of being able to make choices. Since then, his love for books just took off from there.  

 I've always been on a look out for children books on sale, especially those that have hard covers, bright colors and large bold wordings. It was until a mummy friend of mine gave me the idea of borrowing from the library instead. The thought of bringing him to the library is both exciting and intimidating. Exciting because it has been a long while since I stepped into one and never once I thought of bringing my baby there. I mean library gave me the perception of a place only for adults and older kids, and not for babies because babies aren't supposed to understand the meaning of keeping quiet. However I was pretty confident that my boy is not going to create a meltdown there. In the first place he RARELY creates scenes in public, but you never know babies, they have times when they can be quite unpredictable.  

In the end, it turned out to be a pretty enjoyable experience at the library alone with my baby boy. I read a few books with him first, then I picked out a few for him to look and turn the pages himself. No fusses and no whines, he just sat on the children couch quietly looking at his books while I sat on a table near him, reading my own books. One of the librarians approached me and asked how old he is and praised him for being so well-behaved. Of course as a mummy, you do feel proud and pretty good of yourself when people you do not know come and give your kid a compliment.
Anyway he is able to last for at least a good whole half an hour, before he began to get a little restless and started pulling the books down one by one from the bookshelves. It is a sign that it's time to leave the place. 

Now I feel that my child-sized bookshelf is quite a good investment because Reagan can easily reach for his books and pull them down himself whenever he wants to read them. At home, baby boy enjoys spreading his books across the floor and just quietly flipping them one by one, and this is when I can take a quick rest.
 I hope baby Reagan's interest in books will continue for long as I enjoy reading to him as much as he enjoys listening to my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment