A Sweet Intro

This blog is dedicated to our darling boy, born prematurely at 29 weeks and miraculously survived all odds during his 57 days in the ICU. We named him Reagan, which means our "Little King", strong and brave enough to fight any battles. He is also our little king whom we worship with a lifetime of our love and kisses. Baby Reagan continues to amaze us with his awesome strength, big personality, joyful laughter and lovely smiles. This is where we share both our learning journeys and all the fun bonding time together.

Feb 19, 2013

Chicken & Carrot Puree and Chicken stock

The only meat that I've been using for baby Reagan's porridge is either snow cod fish or black cod fish. This week at 10 months old (adjusted 8 months old), I've started to introduce chicken into his meals. I bought chicken thighs from the FourSeasons Organic market, steamed them, removed the meat and pureed it with carrot. You can also choose to puree with other veg such as peas, potato, spinach etc, to get a smoother texture.
 The lean part of the chicken, such as the chicken breast meat is higher in protein but lower in fat. But I chose the thigh meat because it is higher in iron and fat, at the same time it is easier to puree. And of course the taste and texture is nicer than the chicken breast, and it's important especially when I need to make his first taste of chicken meat experience a good one.  I chose organic chicken for his first year of food consumption because it's free from hormones and antibotics. They are quite easy to find compared to organic fish though, however I managed to find a place that sells organic fish, which I will blog about in another entry soon.

As for the bones of the chicken thighs, I used them to make my chicken and vegetable stock for baby. The below recipe is also shared with me by my lovely cousin.

Chicken Stock recipe
Chicken bones
2 onions
2 leeks
2 carrots
2 sticks of celery
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Throw them together in a pot and bring to a boil then reduce the heat until the liquid is simmering rapidly. Simmer, uncovered for about 4 hours, skimming and foam that rises to surface. Remove the bones and strain the stock. You may wish to simmer longer to make it more concentrated and easier to store. I stored them the same way as how I kept my vegetable stock.

Again I estimated the quantity of the ingredients and simmered only 2 hours + because it was already late at night when I was preparing this. I would simmer it longer if I've more time to watch over it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment